Chennai has a perfect mix of places of historical significance and religious importance. For a budget trip, check out the flights to Chennai on Pickfare and get best air ticket deals. Here is a handpicked list of spots to explore in the first trip to Chennai.
Marina Beach, Tamil Nadu:
Marina beach is stretched around 13 km of the area considered a busy tourist attraction of Chennai.
- To enjoy this place you can take a horse ride or can relish the flavors of South Indian seafood.
- Due to turbulent undercurrent bathing and swimming is prohibited. So, you can go to visit the Aquarium and the Ice House near it.
- Many people come here to walk during sunrise and sunset. You can also enjoy a walk in the evening.
Mylapore, Tamil Nadu:
It is a very famous place in Chennai because of great tourist experiencing spots. You must visit the following places:
- Kapaleeswarar Temple: Kapaleeswarar Temple dedicated to Lord Shiva is a cultural and historical landmark. The temple features a 40m tall gopuram which is the oldest skyscraper of Chennai. The architectural marvel is a venue of fine arts and regular host of dance and music performances.
- Another attraction is Rama Krishna Math, it is a temple where you can feel calmness and soothing serenity. You can attend the exhibition, youth programs, and daily worship.
- Other major attractions include the neo-Gothic style San Thome Cathedral, originally built by the Portuguese.
George Town Market:
Explore the neighborhood of Georgetown specialized in bazaars, small winding streets, warehouses, wholesale markets, street stalls, and retail shops.
- Take a leisurely walk around the George Town Market streets. Walk down in NSC Bose Road or China Bazaar and view the Madras High Court, Kothawal Chavadi, and temples along the way.
- Visit Kasi Chetty Street for shopping; mostly it is famous for electronics and fabrics.
- Come along Mini streets and get a taste from popular Rajasthani eateries. Moreover, Armenian Street and Sowcarpet is also known as historical street and traditional outfit respectively.
It is an open air museum located in Tamil Nadu. It holds the buildings and artifacts related to living traditions, arts, music, crafts, and architecture.
- It is a heritage museum with 17 heritage houses, folk performances, contextual exhibitions and recreated streetscapes related to south India’s culture.
- This living history museum has the showcases of the history treasures of South India. Here you can demonstrate an older lifestyle and portray of the early era.
- See the artifacts reflecting the daily life of South India. It has a display of books, magazines, traditional heritage homes and fabrics of cotton and silk.
Moreover, you can visit MGR film city, Arignar Anna Zoological Park and Cholamandal Artists’ Village. Don’t stay calm; book the flights to Chennai and learn something exciting and unique about Southern Indian history.